South Banning is a rural area consisting mostly of horse ranches and farms, mixed in with some low income older homes. A major portion of the west end is the Spring Valley Retirement community. The west side hosts the Banning Airport and Banning's Industrial Area. The new Banning High School, located 2 miles south on San Gorgonio Ave., was completed in 1992 The old high school is now Nicolet Middle School.
La Chancla (the "Shoe") El Sapo (the "Frog") and El Lagartijo (the "Lizard") were all historic barrios in Banning with roots established as early as the 1880s. The Southern Pacific Railroad was constructed through Banning in 1875 and 1876 and much of the workforce on the railroad were men of Mexican descent. Some of the areas of Chancla and Sapo were used for housing for the railroad workers and commercial ventures developed along Livingston Street in response to the new community. El Sapo (the "Frog") got its name from the frogs that chirped at night while congregating at the water sheds used to irrigate the orchards. Historic Barrios of Banning
Neighborhoods | Community | Business
South Banning neighborhoods are mostly rural ranches mixed in small older communities. There has been some development over the years, mainly Sun Lakes and Serrano Del Vista, two 55 + gated communities.
One interesting aspect of the Hmong immigration to the San Gorgonio Pass is that some of the first Hmong arrivals in the early 1980s were allowed to live on the Morongo Reservation. An individual who owned approximately 20 acres of land on the reservation made arrangements for some Hmong families to build or rent on the land. The first area in Banning to be densely populated by Hmong was between Barbour and Westward off of Eighth Street. From the Hills of Laos to the San Gorgonio Pass...
Banning High School out grew its original site (now the Nicolet middle school) moving south on San Gorgonio Ave. The Lyons Park is the newest park built in Banning and contains multiple recreation fields for baseball, soccer, etc. The Banning Municipal Airport, built in the 1940s, is located in the southeast corner of Banning. Banning's annual stagecoach Days Rodeo is held at the Dysart Equestrian park - south 21st street.
The Banning Municipal Airport, which has been operating since the 1940s, is in the process of being shut down. The city council has voted to close the airport, a process that could take many years. Airports in the San Gorgonio Pass
Banning industrial and commercial buildings are located in eastern area of South Banning. Banning's major shopping center can be found to the west along Highland Springs Rd. heading south on San Gorgonio there will be a small market and the KOA Campground located just before your accent to Mount San Jacinto. The campground is one of the oldest businesses still operating today.
Before the construction of the freeway South San Gorgonio Ave. attracted many businesses running north and south of the railroad tracks.